Data Centre Relocations, Migrations & Consolidations
One of the most complex challenges IT leaders can face is a data centre relocation, especially if the project involves consolidation of multiple data centres. Complicating this challenge even further can be the need to consolidate data centres that are located across international borders. While many IT leaders are able to properly manage such a task and complete their data centre move with limited consequence, engaging a specialised IT asset relocation company like SMS to fill specific resource gaps, or to manage the entire project, can have many benefits. These benefits include substantial cost reductions, significantly reduced risk to business operations and a considerably lower level of stress for your IT organisation.
From IT asset relocations to global data centre consolidation and migration projects, SMS data centre services can offer real value to businesses by eliminating business disruptions and down-time, while delivering a project environment that both technically and commercially benefits your business and its employees.
- Global capabilities
- Specialised Project Managers
- Cross-functional, multi-platform experienced Systems Engineers, no general movers are used
- High spare parts availability via SMS owned and operated global service centre network
- Simultaneous relocation and/or consolidation projects to meet transition timelines
- Reduces risk to business operations
- Ensures industry best practices are followed
- Reduces IT asset and data centre relocation costs
- Reduces IT management and staff burden
- Reduces employee overhead and/or need for temporary staffing and training
- Provides ability to fill expertise and resource gaps to better control costs
- Expert technical staff ensures minimal hardware issues and quick remediation should they occur
Data Centre Relocations, Migrations & Consolidations service highlights:
- Discovery and planning phase:
- Development of timelines and schedules
- Inventory database preparation
- Virtual system migration review and planning
- Data capacity and migration approach review
- Network capacity review
- Transportation method determination
- Spare parts gap analysis development
- Relocation phase:
- Oversight and management of relocation activities
- De-installation of all systems
- IT asset packaging
- Loading of transportation vehicles
- Data migration and synchronisation for virtual moves
- P2V and V2V migration
- Transportation of data centre equipment
- Global transportation available
- All transit cargo is insured
- Numerous methods of transportation available
- Installation of equipment in pre-designated locations
- Hardware functionality checks once equipment is powered on
- Migration and virtual systems testing at new location
- Systems repair if required
- Clean-up and removal of packing materials
- Advanced relocation options:
- Complete project management
- Development and documentation of migration approaches
- Determine risks associated with recommended and alternative approaches
- Determine cost for selected and alternative move approaches
- Development of detailed migration plans
- Development of communications plan for end-users, key stakeholders, and IT personnel
- Development of reporting and escalation processes
- Collection and documentation of application and server inventories
- Ensure properly mapped application groups
Determine logical and physical dependencies
- Document application priorities, recovery time objectives, and dependencies
- Identification of influencing factors such as:
- Risk factors
- Freeze dates
- Service levels
- Outage windows
- Recovery time objectives
- Emergency department operations
- Identification of existing technologies that can reduce recovery times
- Migration group modeling
Using expertise and experience to prepare a solid foundation for success.
With the experience of having successfully managed hundreds of IT asset relocations and data centre moves, our experts that make up the SMS Transitional Services Team prepare for every project with a highly strategic approach and best practices framework. Our specialised Project Managers work closely with our clients to plan and review every facet of an IT asset relocation project. From budgeting requirements to spare parts gap analysis, there is no detail that goes unchecked.
This discovery and planning phase is critical for ensuring minimal risk, project timelines are met and client expectations are exceeded. This phase of our Data Centre Relocations, Migrations & Consolidations service incorporates many components that require meticulous attention to detail such as:
- Project scope and scale analysis
- Budgeting requirements
- Timeline requirements
- Risk assessments
- Asset inventory and spare parts requirements
- Data migration requirements and methodologies
- And much more.
Having a thoughtfully planned project and a well informed team is imperative, and we provide the expertise, tools and resources to make it as easy as possible.
Enabling efficiency with the insight of experienced IT systems experts.
Because SMS uses highly skilled and experienced Systems Engineers and Technicians along with professional electronic moving partners, the relocation phase of our IT asset and data centre relocation projects is extremely efficient and carried out in a way that ensures minimal risk to client equipment. Having a high level of familiarity with all IT asset and platform types, our Systems Engineers are able to quickly uninstall, prepare and pack for safe transportation, reinstall according to OEM specifications, ensure proper functionality once powered on and make any needed repairs to failed system components. This level of expertise can significantly reduce the chance of unintended disruptions and also quickly remedy issues should they occur.
This phase of our Data Centre Relocations, Migrations & Consolidations service incorporates many components that require a high level of expertise and experience to perform such as:
- IT functionality testing
- Data migrations
- Migration and virtual systems testing
- Proper packaging and handling
- IT systems repair
- And much more.
Having skilled experts handling valuable business data and IT hardware is vital for ensuring maximum process efficiency, and we provide the expertise required to minimise risk while meeting timelines.
Providing IT leaders with a high level of control.
Our Data Centre Relocations, Migrations & Consolidations service can be tailored to fit your business’ exact requirements allowing you to strategically leverage only what is needed to fill your expertise and resource gaps. This flexibility can significantly reduce your IT asset and data centre move costs compared to “all or none” packaged services giving you the control to strategically balance your wants and requirements.
Furthering your ability to get the expertise you require while controlling costs, we offer many other advanced data centre relocation services such as:
- Complete project management
- Ensuring application groups are properly mapped
- Determining logical and physical dependencies
- Documentation of application priorities, recovery time objectives, and dependencies
- Advise as to where existing technologies can help reduce recovery times
- Migration group modeling
- Joint development and documentation of migration approaches including risk and contingency plans for each approach
- Development of reporting and escalation processes.
Providing IT leaders with smart options.
Our Data Centre Relocations, Migrations & Consolidations service can also be combined with many other complimentary SMS services to provide even greater flexibility and project scalability. These services include:
- Secure on-site or off-site data erasure
- Complies with regulatory requirements
- Includes certificates of erasure
- Secure on-site or off-site disk and tape shredding
- IT asset disposition (SMS follows the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive - WEEE Directive and ISO9001)
- Complies with environmental protection regulations
- Includes chain of custody reporting
- Internal IT hardware audits
- IT asset repurposing
- IT asset resale.
With a unique combination of experience, capability, flexibility and global reach, no other company can match the benefits and value of the Data Centre Relocations, Migrations & Consolidations service we offer. Because of the highly complex nature of data centre relocations, consolidations and migrations, make sure you have the expertise and resources you require for a successful completion of your project by relying on SMS to make it happen.
- Data Centre Relocations, Migrations & Consolidations
- Data Centre Strategy & Selection Consultation
- Data Centre Inventory and Audits
- IT Asset Deployment & Rollout
- IT Asset Disposal (ITAD)
- Data Erasure & Media Destruction
- IT Hardware Sales
- Storage Reassurance
- Smart Hands
- IT Asset Deployment & Installation
- Installs, Moves, Additions and Changes (IMAC)
Europe, Middle East & Africa:
+44 121 251 5151